Friday, July 22, 2011

WNY-Griffis Sculpture Park





















For over 42 years, the steel sculptures of Larry Griffis, Jr. and other international artists have been residing in the woods, fields, and even ponds of Griffis Sculpture Park. The 400 acre Ashford Hollow park, located eight miles outside of Ellicottville, is not only a tremendous regional attraction, but holds the distinction of being America’s largest and oldest sculpture park.

The park features over 250 large scale sculptures dispersed through miles of hiking trails. Each sculpture was placed with the natural setting in mind, creating a truly unique experience between art and nature.

My cousin's Fiance, Heidi, took us to this amazing sculpture park. The only thing is that it wasn't for a three year old. I wasn't prepared to hike 400 acres up hill, I thought it was a park with sculptures. Luca hiked for about 5 minutes and then for the next hour I put her on my back. It was quite an experience!! After 20 fly bites (yes NY flies bite) and buckets of sweat we made it back to the car.


I would do it all over again, except I would bring bug spray, hiking shoes (not toms) and I would leave Luca at my Grandma's. I don't think many kids experience this park because it isn't made for strollers and it's too tough of a hike for them to walk. Luca was very fortunate to be exposed to Griffis's sculptures.

No comments:

Post a Comment